Monday, June 29, 2015

Happy Independence Day!

Good morning, sweet people!
It's a great day to be alive. The sun is shining, it's not yet 1,000 degrees, so we're doing pretty well!

This email might be pretty short, then again, that is usually my intention and it never quite works out as such. This week we tried to fill our time visiting people we hadn't seen in a while, which was luckily successful on most accounts, and we were able to see many miracles. We still met with Amber, she still blew our minds with her rapid progress, but I have another story to tell about her...kind of.

After we went to see her one night last week, we walked outside and saw her next door neighbor getting out of his car. It was one of those moments where we were just a little bit too far away for it not to be an awkward approach, but you just kind of learn to embrace the awkward and do it anyway, so I yelled,

"Hey! How're you doin?"
"Good!" he yelled back, "How are you?"
"We're doing great! Can we come talk to you for a bit?"

Ha, which is probably a rhetorical question at that point, so we walked up to him, found out his name was Rolando, and set up a time to come back.

When we went back, his wife Chastity opened the door, said they were on their way out and asked us to come back, so we scheduled another time to come back.

Then we went back for the third time and they weren't home. This isn't largely uncommon, so we did what we usually do and left a sticky note on their door. "Hi there! It's the missionaries. We stopped by for our appointment and were sad to have missed you! Give us a call so we can reschedule." Then we left our phone number. This is usually the routine, so it's surprising how many phone calls we don't receive. Actually, to be honest, it's surprising when people DO call us. :) But she did! A couple days ago, she called us and apologized up a storm for standing us up. She said she would make us brownies if we would come back.

When we got to her house we found out that she had been talking to Amber and Amber had been testifying to her about the change that had happened in her life. Chastity told us that ever since Amber started meeting with us, she's a completely different person; she has more confidence, she has more faith, she can feel the spirit, and she's cut out all kinds of negative from her life. She's just happy. Increasingly happier every time we see her.

So this sparked Chastity's interest and she wanted to learn why we do what we do. We explained our purpose a bit and then taught her the Restoration, but eventually all of her questions gave way to the Plan of Salvation. We had already been there for about 40 minutes, so we asked her if we could come back and teach her something that would answer more of her questions, like

"I don't think this is in the Bible, but I don't really believe in the type of Hell where there will be fire and burning. I'm sure it exists, but I don't think many people will go there"

and

"I have always wondered why I'm even here. Where did we come from?"

We wanted so badly to answer her questions, but we had to leave, so we set another appointment for this upcoming Tuesday. I love being able to answer the questions of the soul, and helping people find the answers to their own questions!!!

This week in my studies I found this scripture particularly poignant in Alma 38,

"And it came to pass that I was three days and three nights in the most bitter pain and anguish of soul; and never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive [help/answers/comfort]. But behold, I did cry unto him, and I did find peace to my soul."

I wouldn't say that I'm currently in the most bitter pain and anguish of my soul, and I'm sure anyone reading this isn't either, but we all know to some degree what that feels like. But whether we're in the depths of despair or woke up on the wrong side of the bed, this scripture is proof  that prayer works. That when we humble ourselves, and get on our knees, and ask for specific help, he will come to us to comfort us. It is required that we come to Him when we need help. And I don't know why we are too stubborn to do so at times, but the minute we lean on the Lord, assistance comes immediately.

"There is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ."

It's easy to deal with problems by turning on the TV, or gossiping, or venting to your companion, which is my solution, but when we turn to the Lord, he is always first to shed light on the situation and help us overcome whatever we're going through, be it physical, emotional, spiritual, or otherwise. He is the source of all comfort.

I know he answers prayers. I know he loves us. In the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN.

Love,

Sister Best


No comments:

Post a Comment