Monday, March 24, 2014

I'm Goin' To Wichita

Week 7

Oh, my sweet family. Ya'll can stop asking me how Oklahoma is because I'm in Wichita Falls, Texas. Hahah. To be honest, I have no idea where to start this letter so I guess I'll just jump right in. My trainer is amazing. And not even in that way where I have to tell you I'm doing well even though I'm miserable. My trainer really is amazing. Her name is Hermana Gonzalez and she is the sweetest person I could have been paired with. I'm lucky because she was born in Mexico and is fluent in Spanish so even though all the lessons we have taught so far have been in English, I am trying to take advantage of her skills during study time. And so she can translate my stupid jokes. (Tomolo lluvia--I make it rain). So, you know. This is her sixth transfer in Wichita Falls so it's pretty likely she'll only train me for six weeks instead of twelve before she gets transfered, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

The church in Wichita Falls is really interesting. Especially now. Most of this town is pretty heavily Baptist.  There is only one ward where I'm serving, and so there are eight missionaries in our one ward. The reason it's that way is because there are 1000 members in Wichita Falls but only 200 are active. Needless to say we do a lot of work with less actives. And there hasn't been a baptism here since December. Also, the Sunday before I came here there was an ex-mormon who went to the main Baptist church and said a lot of pretty out-of-context untrue stuff about our religion so a lot of people just bible bash us and shut the door in our face. But it's not as discouraging as I thought it would be. In fact, yesterday we knocked a door and asked a woman if we could pray with her.

"That's okay. We actually just got back from church."
Oh! That's great! Which one?
"The Cowboy Church"
"Oh! Okay well we're missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and we would love to pray with you if you'll let us"
"You know what, we have our beliefs and we're happy. So you can take your bogus faith elsewhere."
*door slam*

Oh... Okay. Hahah. But I love it here. The members that are active are amazing. We get fed really well and they already offer to cut my hair and help us out and come to lessons. It's been great. And anyone who isn't a member loves Jesus Christ. Southern hospitality is a real thing here in Wichita Falls. And everyone is pretty honest. The other day, we taught this really powerful and spiritual lesson about the Plan of Salvation to this sweet 20-year-old girl named Leigh. And at the end of the lesson we said,

"Leigh, will you read [this chapter] in the Book of Mormon before our next lesson?"
"Yeah, sure!"
"Okay, great. So tonight, when you get home start reading and... etc..."
"Oh, actually, I'm going clubbing right now. But I'll read it tomorrow!"

Oh man. Good stuff.

I love being on a mission. I thought I would struggle and get homesick and want to start counting down the days, but it's not that way at all. The days all blend together and they're busy. They're shorter than I thought. And even yesterday, we had our first day where every appointment got cancelled and we even got dropped by someone who was investigating the church, and it still wasn't difficult to keep our chins up. But what do I know. I'm greener than green. I still giggle every time I have to get out and back the car. Which is rare because Hermana Gonzalez loves me and never parks in a spot that requires backing.

Well, I love you guys. Thank you for your continued support. God loves you all so much. I know that he cares about all of you and is watching over you and wants you to feel his love for you. Thank you for all that you do. I was so glad to hear that you're doing well.

And guess what?! I'm in America! Mail moves fast! We don't have a time limit for emailing, but I have to be considerate of my companion so letters are still amazing (and packages of course).
My new address is 3001 Kemp Boulevard, Apartment 820, Wichita Falls, Texas, 76308

I love you all. Let me know if you have question, I'm terrible at relaying information.

Xoxox,

Hermana Best

No comments:

Post a Comment